Monday 9 September 2013

Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie



Mexican-inspired food is a big thing in our household, because it's our "neutral zone" food-a one of the only things my partner and I agree upon.  (He hates sweets, but loves cabbage.  He even actually LIKES the taste of scotch.  It's like he's mad at his tastebuds and trying to punish them for something.)  I delight at having something in common with my partner, so cumin, corn, beans, chiles, tomatoes, and the like make their way into a lot of my dishes.  I made tex-mex sweet potato skins on Saturday's party, topped with daiya, cashew queso, salsa, soyrizo, and coconut bacon.  They turned out alright, but I'm always looking for reasons to put things in pastry, so I thought I'd take my leftover pie dough from Saturday's Cocoa-kissed Blueberry Pies and encase all the things that went into my potato skins- and then top with mashed sweet potato, because I love sweet potato, even though it vexes my long-suffering sweet-hating partner.  The pie turned out so good he didn't even mind the sweet potato!  Success!  Victory.  She is mine.  MINE!


Anyway, here's the recipe.

Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced
  • 1 jalepeno pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 package soyrizo (I like the tofurkey)
  • 2 cups cooked lentils
  • 1/2 cup daiya mozzarella or pepperjack flavor
  • 1/4 cup cashew queso (use the rest for dipping your corn chips into!)
  • 2 cups salsa
  • 1 cup corn
  • 3 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
  • 1 prepared unbaked deep-dish pie crust

Directions 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  1. Saute onion and peppers in 1 tbsp olive oil until onion is translucent.
  2. Add garlic, cumin, and chili powder and saute for another minute.
  3. Stir in soyrizo, lentils, daiya, salsa, corn, and queso.
  4. Pile into pie crust and smooth the top.
  5. Top with mashed sweet potatoes, sprinkle with a little extra cumin, and bake for 50 minutes or until pie crust is golden.  Let sit for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
What's the "neutral zone" food in your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment